| Our History |
The Crossett Lumber Company was formed in 1899 when three Iowa investors bought a vast Arkansas forest which consisted of 920 square miles of tall, whispering pines laced only by wandering wagon trails and deer paths. The Company hauled in a sawmill and imported workers. Gradually a little town took shape. They called the town Crossett. Crossett was incorporated as a town in 1902.
In June of 1902 an inter-denominational church was put up overnight by the citizens of the town to keep away a saloon. The building was also used for a school during the week. Soon enough Baptists lived in the area, and they began to meet in a dwelling at 310 Oak Street. Rev. N.C. Denson, an early pioneer Baptist preacher in Arkansas, preached the first sermon and held services twice a month.During the summer of 1905, a revival was held in a brush arbor on the corner of Beech Street and Third Avenue (formerly known as Gates Avenue). By spring of 1906, First Baptist Church was organized with nine charter members. In the fall of 1907, on land donated by the Crossett Lumber Company at the corner of Beech Street and Third Avenue and with half of the cost paid by the company, the first church building was erected. At this time, this was the southern end of town. Membership grew quickly in the first years of its existence.
Years later, due to the growth of the city southward, First Baptist Church moved to a new site on Main Street. This was so that the church could be more in the center of the population of the city. Again the Crossett Lumber Company gave the deed to the lot, and the new building was erected in 1949.
Over the years, First Baptist Church continued to grow with new people moving into town with the paper mill, other industries, and businesses. With increased membership and ministries, First Baptist Church added a chapel building, children’s wing, youth building, and a Multi-Ministry Center.
First Baptist Church celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2006.